Have you thought about getting dermal fillers for anti-aging or to enhance your facial features? Although dermal fillers have always been a taboo to talk about, it is actually a very popular service. Dermal fillers have always been a well-kept secret amongst celebrities and idols, and now it’s become more accepted and more commonly spoken about. Here at Pure Bliss Med Spa, Atlanta’s #1 Med Spa, we offer different services that provide facial balancing and enhancement with Dermal Fillers. To find out more about one of the most effective services we offer for anti-aging, continue reading this article.
Want to learn more about how Atlanta’s premier med spa specialists can help you reach your goals? Schedule your consultation today!
How and Where Dermal Fillers Are Used
Dermal Fillers are made from hyaluronic acid, which occurs naturally in the skin. These soft gels are used to replace volume that is lost during the aging process or to enhance facial features. The entire procedure usually takes 60 minutes. Here’s how it works:
- Your skin will be cleaned and pretreatment photos will be taken.
- Your provider will develop a treatment plan custom to you.
- A small dose is injected just beneath the skin’s surface near the targeted areas using a tiny needle.
- The product is molded and sculpted to achieve the most natural and desirable results.
- Return to daily routines with a few precautions in place, all post care will be discussed at your appointment time.
Common injection sites include:
Types of Dermal Fillers
There are many types of dermal fillers. In addition to dermal fillers that use synthetic (manmade materials) and substances that naturally occur in your body, healthcare providers can also use fat from your own body. Healthcare providers call this procedure “autologous fat grafting,” where they remove fat from one part of your body and inject it into your face. But this is not as popular of a procedure. The type of dermal fillers that are normally used include:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a naturally occurring acid in your skin. It gives your skin volume and keeps it hydrated. With age, your body stops making hyaluronic acid. Results from HA injections usually last six months to a year. Restylane® is a commonly used type of HA filler, which is made by Galderma. Juvederm® is as well, which is made by Allergan Aesthetic.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) is a type of filler that consists of a substance you have in your bones. Results from these fillers typically last around a year. Healthcare providers usually use CaHA fillers for deeper wrinkles. Examples of CaHA fillers include Radiesse®, which is made by Merz.
- Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) is a substance that helps your body create its own collagen. Healthcare providers usually use poly-L-lactic acid to smooth deep wrinkles on your face. The results can last two years or more. Types of PLLA fillers include Sculpta®, which is made by Galderma.
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) fillers consist of collagen and very small balls that stay under your skin after your healthcare provider injects them. The balls give your skin volume and keep it firm. Bellafill® is one type of PMMA filler which is made by Suneva Medical.
Your injector will review the types of dermal fillers and discuss the right option for you. Talk to them about setting realistic goals and the results you can expect after getting injections.
What To Expect
Your dermal fillers will be done in our Sandy Springs location. Your treatment will start with a topical numbing agent (an anesthetic) being applied to your area of choice. The anesthetic numbs the area so the treatment will be more comfortable and will be left on the area for 30 minutes. Once you are completely numb your injector will bring you into the treatment room and begin the process.
Your injector begins with cleansing your skin with an antiseptic solution. Then after, using a thin needle, your injector will inject small amounts of fillers under your skin. The needle will pinch or sting, but most people don’t experience much pain during these injections. Your injector may inject the fillers in several areas. The whole process can take a few minutes or up to an hour.
After receiving dermal filler injections, your injector will cleanse your skin with an antiseptic solution. They may give you an ice pack to ease pain and swelling. You may have bruises, swelling or discomfort after getting the injections. Usually, these side effects subside in a few days and results are typically seen immediately after the procedure. But everyone’s results are different. How long it takes to see results, as well as how long they last, depend on the person and type of treatment you received. But discuss with your injector what may be expected.
How To Prepare
Here are some tips for preparing before treatment:
- Schedule a consult: Before your first treatment, schedule a consultation with one of our Nurse Practitioners to determine which treatment is best for you.
- Plan ahead: Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks before special events to allow for swelling and/or bruising to go down post treatment.
- Avoid blood-thinning products: Certain supplements or medications can cause bruising or bleeding. Discontinue at least 3 days before your treatment after talking with your doctor about changing or stopping a prescription medication.
The most common products discontinued before treatment are:
- Ginkgo Biloba
- St. John’s Wort
- Flaxseed Oil
- Cod Liver Oil
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Essential fatty acids
Discontinue 24 hours before your treatment:
Post Care For Dermal Fillers
There is minimal downtime when it comes to getting dermal fillers. The Area may swell and bruise for at least 1-2 weeks, sometimes 3. But everyone’s reaction is different. The important thing to know is that once it settles you will fall in love. Aftercare for dermal fillers is very important. Here are the recommended steps for aftercare post treatment:
- Gently apply ice packs to treated areas every few hours, for 10-20 minutes. Continue as needed until swelling resolves.
- Tylenol, if you are able to take it, can be helpful for any discomfort.
- Arnica sublingual (under the tongue) tablets may be taken daily until bruising and swelling resolve.
- May resume cosmetics or other skin products the day following treatment
Safety of fillers
Dermal Filler Treatments are completely safe and FDA Approved. Although it is rare that clients have a reaction to the filler it is still possible that this can happen. Knowing when to contact your injector and healthcare provider is important. Here is a list of reactions that are very serious and warrant contacting your health professional:
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Intense pain in the treated area
- Excessive swelling that is increasing with time
- Skin color and/or temperature changes other than bruising (where skin is white, mottled, or hot/cold)
- If you aren’t sure if what you are experiencing is normal – call or email us! We are happy to help!
- In emergency situations, call 911 and email [email protected]
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, please call us at 678-515-3653 or email us at [email protected].
Now that you are more informed on all things Dermal Fillers it’s time to find the perfect place to get them. Look no further than Pure Bliss Med Spa ATLANTA #1 MED SPA. We are located in the Atlanta/Sandy Springs area. Our Nurse Practitioner Asha is wonderful at her craft. Her constant goal is the comfortability and satisfaction of her clients.
If you are ever unsure of what treatment may be best for you, schedule your free consultation today. All consultations are free and our phones are always open and email Tuesday- Saturday 10am – 6pm to answer any of your questions. We hope to see you soon!