Are you struggling with acne and or acne scars? Acne is one of the most common skin conditions we treat at Pure Bliss Med Spa. The big question is, can acne scars go away. With patience and commitment, we offer various treatments to either fade or completely correct acne scarring.
Interested in checking out our acne solutions? Contact us!
What is Acne Scarring?
It’s important to understand what acne scarring is and to be able to differentiate it from other skin irregularities like hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration caused by other skin issues. Acne scars are textural changes to the skin from the trauma of acne pustules clogging the pores. Some hyper-pigmented scarring can be caused by the inflammation of acne. People with darker skin tones have more melanin and are more prone to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
The majority of acne scars that leave permanent changes to the skin are textural changes. These are visible changes to the skin after injury caused by the inflammatory nature of pustules and comedones. They develop due to excessive sebum production, dead skin, oil and bacteria blocking pores. As your body attempts to push this sebum out of plugged or clogged pores it subsequently causes damage to skin cells. The inflammation from blackheads, whiteheads, and cystic acne can also cause scarring.
Acne pustules can leave ice picks scars which are deep craters or depressed areas in the skin. Some scars are risen instead of depressed, similar to scar tissue. This is caused by collagen production and overgrowth of skin d/t inflammation. This is especially possible with people who are prone to developing keloids of the skin.
The best solution is preventing acne before it starts. The most basic preventative treatments for acne is deep cleansing skin, followed by a non-comedogenic moisturizer. Acne washes should include one of more of these ingredients: salicylic, glycolic, lactic acid, or benzo peroxide. These cleansers have active ingredients and acids to break down dirt and oil ridding the skin of potential pore clogging debris, as well as getting rid of bacteria on the face.
Acne spot treatments may include these ingredients or some form of retinol/ retinoids, azelaic acid or another acne fighting ingredient to cure breakouts faster.
- Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid know for exfoliating the skin, it dissolves oil, unclogs pores, softens and losses dry or dead skin, and prevents buildup from occurring.
- Azelaic acid helps the skin renew itself more quickly which reduces the formation of pimples, and kills bacteria that causes comedones. It also inhibits tyrosinase, an enzyme that creates pigment in the skin and reduces inflammation and hyperpigmentation caused by breakouts.
- Clindamycin is a topical antibiotic which reduces acne causing bacteria and works well when combined with other acne treatments to prevent breakouts
- Retinol and retinoids are a form of vitamin A that helps keep pores clear by reducing build up of skin cells. Retinol boosts skin exfoliation, promotes skin turnover and prevents acne. All while healing prior acne scars.
- Benzoyl peroxide is another product that kills acne causing bacteria and helps shed dead skin that can clog the pores and lead to commodores. It is especially beneficial in cystic acne.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA) are natural and synthetic acids that also exfoliate the top layer of skin and unclogs pores reducing acne and aiding in skin healing and improving acne scar formation.
These ingredients can often be found in acne cleansers, creams, and gels. The combination of these products can dry out the skin, stripping it of its natural oils. A common mistake amongst those who are oily and or acne prone is avoiding face moisturizers. It’s important to end you skin care routine with a light hydrating moisturizer.
Without added moisture the skin can become dry, inflamed and irritated. The skin will create more oils to compensate for the moisture lost, these oils can be pore clogging. There are various lightweight non-comedogenic moisturizers to sooth acne-prone, sensitive skin and prevent irritation.
Although prevention is key, there are various treatments to treat active acne and/or acne scars.
- Facials are a necessity for active acne and acne prone individuals. Facials include a double cleansing, steam treatment to open the pores, professional manual extraction of debris in the pores, deep purifying mask to further cleanse the skin and application of acne fighting products.
- Chemical peels including salicylic acid and glycolic kill acne causing bacteria and strip dead skin. Deeper peels such as TCA peels and Jessner peels improve acne scarring and texture changes.
- Resurfacing treatments removes dead skin stimulating the body to make new skin some of these treatments include microdermabrasion, derma planing, laser genesis, resurfacing lasers, and chemical peels.
These treatments work best for preventing acne and treating depressed scars that are not significantly deep. For deeper scars we recommend micro-needling, which is a collagen induction therapy that stimulates the skin to make new collagen and improves skin overall texture and reduces the appearance of skin imperfections.
Lasers and other light therapies can treat both raised and depressed scars. The laser light penetrates deep in the skin layers to stimulate collagen and skin repair. PDO threads are the most effective treatment for deep, depressed scars as it stimulates collagen production over the course of months for the most optimal results. For major textural changes and ice pick scars you may be a candidate for dermal filler injections to fill in the scar.
Get the Treatment You Need
Most of these treatments will heal acne and visibly reduce scars. The key to optimal results is consistency, many of the treatments can require 3-5 sessions for the best results.
At Pure Bliss Med Spa we see clients of various skin conditions and skin colors in the Atlanta and Sandy Springs area. We formulate a customized treatment plan geared towards your skin’s specific needs. All of our practitioners are highly skilled and well trained on skin care treatments and the various modalities we offer.
These procedures have little to no downtime and can be performed safely and effectively in our clinic. Book a skincare treatment with us and experience a full consultation and treatment plan effective for your specific skin issues.
Ready to get started? Schedule your consultation today!